Sunday, May 9, 2010

mother's day

It is mother's day.

During the night little Marten was sick and I was up with him a number of times. Comforting him and cleaning him and crawling into bed with him to be close by him. As he lay shivering against me I couldn't fall asleep. As they often do my night time thoughts became anxious ones. Frequently I have nightmares about horrific things happening to my little ones. My last thoughts before I drift off to sleep are often worries about what will befall my children. What will life be like for them? As a mother I wish I could eternally tuck them under my wings and protect them from difficulties.

Last night I thought of a mother whom I know is mourning her son's death. I thought of a friend who is mourning a mother's death. I thought of Congolese Neema and Liliane who fight for their children's survival. Haitian mothers who lost children in the earthquake. Life really is a veil of tears. Then I thought of Mary, mother of Jesus, called Blessed Among Women, standing forlorn at the foot of the cross, her heart breaking for the loss of a son who was perfect. Our love for our children can be scarred by their sins and shortcomings. Not so with Mary. She did not understand, as we often still don't understand, not seeing beyond the shadowlands.

I awakened to unexpected cold weather with snow sugared over the blossoms and grass. I awakened to the love of children expressed in a gift and a card. I awaken every day to the love of a heavenly Father that far exceeds my own love for my children. How can I not trust that He will lead my little ones too?

Thank you God for the beauty of today and the perfect promise of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment