Tuesday, July 7, 2009

promise

Sparks of creativity are quickly doused by to do lists and feelings of busyness.  

Do I pick up my camera or my paintbrush? My devotional or my dish brush?
 
Relentless time leaves me shaking my head. July already? I didn't plant my vegetable garden? The flower beds are neglected? New lavender plants forgotten? I've only once picked a bouquet of peonies to grace our dining room. Hardly even stopped to push my nose into their blossoms.

Why be so busy? Summer starts and we rush into swimming lessons and vacation bible school.  Renovation projects.  Blessings that make busy.
Where is the reset button? The replay button?

The pear swells with  promise.  The raspberries just starting to produce. All in season.
Fruit of our labour too will show in season.

Who am I to complain? To wish to halt the cycle of the seasons? Unplanted vegetables? Unfinished porches? Delayed renovations?  Humbly I think of my cousins who have just buried their last parent. Of my friend who has discontinued treatment for a dying mother.  Of a relative whose infant cannot live outside the womb, anticipated birth and burial. 

Eternity awaits.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment