Thursday, June 25, 2009

all creatures great and small



Tender hearted child with a knack for finding dead creatures.
A  wild rabbit, decomposing, and very ugly in death.  
She cried, horrified, and reminded of her little pet bunny that had died.

"Please can you bury it mom?"
"Can we wait for daddy to do it?" I ask, with my stomach churning.
Tears stream down her face.
I grab a cardboard box and a shovel and go and bury the wild rabbit, decomposing, and very, very ugly in death.  Trying to think of the child and not the rabbit.

Norah asked me to help her find a bible text, " the one about God making the creatures and that it was good". We put the sign beside the buried wild rabbit.  We sang. 

"God sees the little bunny fall, 
it meets His tender view,
If God so loves the little things,
I know He loves me too."

Marten said, "He loves us much more than the animals".

My heart is warmed.

And I am thankful
for a childlike faith.

And I am thankful
that these children live a life in which the ugliness of death is only found in dead little creatures.  I think of the refugee families in the Congo that our church is hoping to bring to Canada.  The very, very ugly death that is part of their living. 



No comments:

Post a Comment