Friday, June 24, 2011

peonies

I love these fragrant heralds of summer. Bold, pink masses.
I wish my mom could come and sit on our porch and enjoy them. Last month I wondered if she would be here to enjoy the apple blossoms, and they have come and gone. Then I wondered if she would see the lilacs and I brought her some. Next I wondered about the yellow lilies and I brought them to the hospital room. Likewise the peonies, I picked some for her and some for myself. I brought them to the hospital room and I put them on our table at home.

We make pancakes, the little guy and I, and I wonder about mom. I fold laundry and wonder about mom. I teach the little ones and I think of mom. I wake up at night and wonder how she feels in her new hospice bed. I sit and the computer and cry for her, and for dad, and for us. I search my mind, search the internet: is their nothing else that we can do?

And He, who makes all things new says "Come". He, with the scarred hands and feet calls "Come". And she, the priestess with the scarred hands and feet stands at the Jordan. Hesitant, timid, waiting for the courage to step forward and part the waters. And we, wait for prophetic words to still our aching hearts. Again.
Across the waters He calls, "Come", and stands with crown in hand.

He promised that He will return one day, but until then he calls to his beloved, one at a time.

The peonies drop their petals in the rain, and make way for the next blossoms.

4 comments:

  1. Be encouraged by the everlasting promise of God. He is faithful- cling to Him and when you arms grow weary, know that He will hold you and your loved ones fast, and draw you near.
    Praying for you.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying, praying, praying.....God has engraved your Mom's name on the palm of His hand. She is loved, very much, by us, and by Him....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Marieke,
    I know your pain and and have felt that deep, agonizing desire to do "something." God too knows. He hears. He understands. I pray that you and your family will feel the embrace of His loving arms during these difficult and pain-filled days.
    love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marieke,

    i'm here waiting for the labour to start, though it will comes with joy but also with fear....so i'm meditating some verses to get encouraged....hope these help you too...Let's focus on Him and find strength in Him!

    On your side, the waiting is painful indeed. Sometimes we feel our hearts are too fragile to handle all these....please rest your soul in Him...

    1Ch 29:11-13 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name"

    Ps 63:1-4 "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name."

    Thanks for all the photos that you post here, i enjoy them very much!

    ReplyDelete