Wednesday, August 18, 2010

little dipper


Maybe it is because we wish for eternity that we wish for productivity. When we produce we leave a legacy, a footprint, something to be remembered by. When we produce we feel like we make a difference. When another day slips into another night often we wonder what we actually accomplished in the light hours.

As time passes we are aware of how many things are left undone. Dreams put on the shelf. Perhaps we identify ourselves by what we did and feel like "has beens". Careers are tucked on the shelves between the dreams and old identities crammed in as well. It is difficult to see glory in the now of tasks that seem repetitive and mundane.

But when I tuck the little ones in the smallest fellow always says, "Do you know how much I love you?" I chuckle and say "Nope".
"From our house to camping to Flowida to opa and oma's to camping to Flowida to our house to Flowida to camping to our house and stop for lunch and to camping and to Flowida- but not on Sundays - to home."
Not to be outdone the bigger boy says, "Well, I love you 20, 000 donuts and 20,000 drinks".
Sister says. " I love you more than any other mom in the world".

And the stars come out and another day is done.
And new dreams grow and different identities sleep peacefully.

And I know who I am and I know where I'm going-
and I want to take all of them with me
and that is accomplishment enough for one lifetime.



No comments:

Post a Comment