Monday, June 28, 2010

the gift of love

Recollections of the last few days swirl through my mind.
Family, the people I am most comfortable with, within hugging reach.
Early morning coffee with a sister on the front porch.
Dad, smiling and thankful. Mom, absorbing the moments.

And then, just like that it is over,
and the people that I love are gone again. Home.
Out of reach, and I regret
that the time was so busy and so soon gone-
because this is my family
and I miss them already.

And then, just like that,
the firstborn grandchild's car spins out of control
and the car is damaged and the spirit is bruised
but our child is okay
and I am scared, and thankful, and angry
and Thankful again-
because the gift of love and
the gift of those we love
can be taken away.

1 comment:

  1. And so we are taught the gifts of love, lest we take them for granted....

    ReplyDelete