Thursday, November 12, 2009

remembrance day at the war memorial museum

There is something huge about looking into the eyes of an elderly veteran, chest pinned full of medals,a now frail man deserving of our thanks.

Dressed up for the occasion, my little boys, oblivious to the moment, are scuffling under an army jeep, bored and eager to go away. They've had enough and are disappointed in not seeing the planes as they thunder overhead. Their big sister was singing with the choir but we couldn't spot her. Speeches are long and difficult to hear. I feel myself getting frazzled and wonder why this isn't having the impact I thought it should. Admittedly disappointed that I didn't get some photos of the Lancaster in the air.

I've had enough and will try instead to hold the thanks in my heart.

As we drive home Norah wonders, "why don't we have remembrance day every day?"

Freedom, one of those blessings to give thanks for every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment